How many years ago was 1966?
1966 was 57 years ago from today.
A total of 57 years have passed between January 27th, 1966, and January 27th, 2023. It was 20,819 days ago.
However, the last calendar date of that year fell on December 31st, 1966. This means that, technically speaking, only 56 full years have passed since 1966 ended.
How long ago was 1966?
To put into perspective how long ago 1966 was:
- A person who turned 21 in 1966 is now 78 years of age.
- The teenagers that existed in 1966 are now 70–76 years old.
- Five decades have passed since then.
- The United States was still embroiled in the Vietnam War.
- The assassination of JFK had occurred only three years previously.
- Man hadn't walked on the moon yet.
- The Moon is moving away from Earth at roughly 1.49 inches per year. That means that it has moved away by about 85 inches since 1966.
- There have been roughly 2,964 weekends since then.
- Names such as Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, David Bowie, Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin and Charles Manson were not famous at the time.
- Popular songs that year included the likes of "The Sounds Of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel, "We Can Work It Out" by The Beatles, "My Love" by Petula Clark, "Lightning Strikes" by Lou Christie, "These Boots Are Made For Walking" by Nancy Sinatra and "The Ballad Of The Green Berets" by Sgt. Barry Sadler.
- Films such as "Follow Me, Boys!", "Hawaii", "The Professionals", "Doctor Zhivago", "The Sound of Music" and "How to Steal a Million" were playing at movie theaters in 1966.
- "Batman" and "Dark Shadows" were among the TV shows that started airing that year.
- Martin Luther King was still alive in 1966.
- The Earth has travelled 257 billion miles through space since 1966.
- Video game consoles did not exist in 1966.
- Buttons on phones were relatively new.
- Pocket calculators didn't exist.
- Che Guevara was still alive.
- Due to the expansion of the Atlantic Ocean, the distance between the United States and Europe has grown 143 centimeters since 1966.
- A person who was born that year has had roughly 114–171 colds in their lifetime.
- The world has gone through 228 seasons of weather.
- The minidress was still relatively new.
Check out some of the other "years ago" stats!