News stories, pop culture trends, and other events that happened around September 23, 2023.
August 24, 2023:
• Japan begins to release wastewater from the Fukushima nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean.
• WWE wrestler Bray Wyatt dies of a heart attack at the age of 36.
• Donald Trump surrenders to authorities in Georgia over his 2020 election indictment charges.
• American actress Arleen Sorkin passes away at the age of 67.
• The release of "Dune: Part Two" is delayed due to the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike.
August 25, 2023: Spanish FA president Luis Rubiales refuses to resign for kissing Jennifer Hermoso.
August 26, 2023:
• "The Price Is Right" host Bob Barker dies at the age of 99.
• Boxing: Oleksandr Usyk defeats Daniel Dubois with a 9th round technical knockout.
August 27, 2023: Samuel Wurzelbacher (Joe the Plumber) dies from pancreatic cancer at the age of 49.
August 30, 2023:
• Hurricane Idalia hits Florida.
• Gabon President Ali Bongo Ondimba is deposed by a military coup.
• Utah family YouTuber Ruby Franke is arrested on child abuse charges.
August 31, 2023:
• Donald Trump pleads not guilty to charges that he led a criminal conspiracy to overturn the 2020 election.
• At least 74 people are killed after a fire engulfs an abandoned building in Johannesburg, South Africa.
• Convicted murderer Danelo Cavalcante escapes from Chester County Prison in Pennsylvania.
September 1, 2023:
• Soccer: Mason Greenwood moves to Getafe on loan.
• It is announced that Egyptian businessman Mohamed Al Fayed has died at the age of 94.
• Musician Jimmy Buffett passes away at the age of 76.
September 2, 2023:
• Burning Man attendees are left stranded due to heavy rains.
• Wrestling: AEW releases CM Punk from his contract following a backstage altercation.
September 3, 2023:
• Soccer: A man is arrested for allegedly assaulting Sky Sports pundit Roy Keane.
• Max Verstappen claims a record 10th consecutive Formula 1 victory at the Italian Grand Prix.
September 4, 2023:
• Smash Mouth singer Steve Harwell dies from liver failure at the age of 56.
• Soccer: Antony is removed from Brazil's squad following allegations of domestic violence against his ex-girlfriend.
September 5, 2023:
• Joe Jonas files for divorce from Sophie Turner.
• Attorneys representing Alex Murdaugh accuse the Clerk of Court of jury tampering.
• "Tube Girl" begins to go viral on TikTok.
September 6, 2023:
• Mexico's Supreme Court decriminalizes abortion.
• Terror suspect Daniel Khalife escapes from HMP Wandsworth in London, England.
• The video game "Starfield" is released.
September 7, 2023:
• That '70s Show actor Danny Masterson (Hyde) is sentenced to 30 years in prison for rape.
• Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary is hit in the face with a cream pie in Brussels.
• The Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon is accused of creating a toxic workplace environment and abusing his staff.
September 8, 2023:
• The Rugby World Cup begins in France.
• More than 2,600 people are killed after a 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes Morocco.
• Elon Musk says that he refused to give Ukraine access to his Starlink network over Crimea to prevent a "major act of war".
• French President Emmanuel Macron is heavily booed during his opening speech at the Rugby World Cup.
September 9, 2023:
• Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis issue an apology for writing letters in support of co-star Danny Masterson ahead of his sentencing.
• Fugitive Daniel Khalife is arrested in London.
• Police in the Netherlands use water cannons and arrest 2,400 climate change protesters who were blocking the A12 highway into The Hague.
• UFC 293: Sean Strickland beats Israel Adesanya.
September 10, 2023: Spanish FA president Luis Rubiales announces that he will be resigning.
September 11, 2023:
• Soccer: Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba is provisionally suspended from playing due to an anti-doping offence.
• WGA strike: The Drew Barrymore Show makes the controversial decision to resume production without writers.
September 12, 2023:
• American explorer Mark Dickey is rescued from one of Turkey's deepest caves.
• EU laws force Apple to replace its iPhone lightning charger with a USB-C charger.
• Thousands of people are killed in floods in Libya.
• Federal charges are brought against five former Memphis police officers over the death of Tyre Nichols.
• An investigation is launched after a Seattle police officer is filmed saying that a woman killed by a police car "had limited value".
• 56 people die in an apartment building fire in Hanoi, Vietnam.
• The game engine "Unity" announces a controversial plan to charge developers a runtime fee.
• NFL: It is confirmed that New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers has a complete tear of his Achilles tendon.
September 14, 2023:
• France announces plans to ban disposable vapes.
• The European Central Bank raises interest rates to a record high to curb inflation.
• Hunter Biden is indicted on federal gun charges.
• NASA says that the study of UFOs will require new scientific techniques and technology.
September 15, 2023:
• The film "Dumb Money" is released.
• Nearly 13,000 workers walk out of three auto plants in Michigan, Missouri, and Ohio due to a pay dispute.
• Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis resign from their anti-child abuse charity amid criticism of their defense of former co-star and convicted rapist Danny Masterson.
September 16, 2023:
• English comedian and actor Russell Brand is accused of rape, sexual assault, and abuse.
• Libya floods: The death toll rises to 11,300 in Derna.
September 17, 2023:
• The Greater Nile Petroleum Oil Company Tower in Sudan is engulfed in flames.
• Ukraine's generals claim that they have broken through Russia's first line of defenses in the south.
• Actress Halle Berry criticizes rapper Drake for using a "slime" photograph of her without permission.
• An F-35 fighter jet goes missing in South Carolina after the pilot ejects due to a "mishap".
• Following backlash, Drew Barrymore announces that she will not be resuming her talk show until the Writers Guild of America strike has ended.
September 18, 2023:
• Iran and the United States hold a prisoner swap.
• Japan says that one in 10 of its residents are now 80 years of age or older.
• Further women come forward with allegations about Russell Brand.
• Canada accuses India of killing Canadian Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar.
• Former NFL player Sergio Brown is reported missing after his mother is found dead in Maywood, Illinois.
September 19, 2023:
• YouTube suspends the monetization of Russell Brand's channel amid allegations that he raped and sexually abused multiple women.
• Elon Musk suggests that X (Twitter) may start charging all users a subscription fee.
September 21, 2023:
• The video game "Payday 3" is released.
• Rupert Murdoch steps down as the chairman of Fox and News Corp.
September 22, 2023:
• Doja Cat releases her album "Scarlet".
• The iPhone 15 is released.
• Canada's House of Commons inadvertently gives an ovation to a Nazi war veteran.
This date: September 23, 2023
September 24, 2023:
• Hollywood writers and studios reach a deal to end a five-month-long strike.
• NASA's first deep-space asteroid samples are parachuted into the Utah desert.
September 25, 2023:
• Sicilian mafia boss Matteo Messina Denaro dies from cancer at the age of 61.
• London's Metropolitan Police confirm that they have received a number of new abuse allegations about Russell Brand.
• It is rumored that pop singer Taylor Swift and NFL player Travis Kelce are dating.
September 26, 2023:
• A New York judge rules that Donald Trump defrauded insurers and banks by overvaluing his assets when he was building his real estate empire.
• The European Union accuses Twitter (X) of being the biggest outlet for disinformation.
September 27, 2023: GB News suspends host Laurence Fox over comments that he made about journalist Ava Evans.
September 28, 2023:
• Actor Michael Gambon, who played Dumbledore in the Harry Potter film series, passes away at the age of 82.
• American soldier Travis King arrives back on US soil after being expelled from North Korea.
• US Senator Dianne Feinstein passes away at the age of 90.
• The police conduct a welfare check on Britney Spears after she uploads a video of herself dancing with knives.
September 29, 2023:
• The video game "EA FC 24" is released.
• The sci-fi film "The Creator" is released.
• The film "PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie" is released.
• Duane "Keefe D" Davis is charged with the 1996 murder of rap star Tupac Shakur.
• The United States warns of a large Serbian military build-up near the Kosovo border.
• A rainstorm floods parts of New York City.
• The horror film "Saw X" is released.
• 60 people are killed in a suicide bombing in the Mastung District of Pakistan.
September 30, 2023: Charlotte Sena (9) goes missing while riding her bike at Moreau Lake Park in upstate New York.
October 1, 2023:
• 13 people are killed in a nightclub fire in Murcia, Spain.
• Golf: Europe wins the 2023 Ryder Cup at the Marco Simone Golf and Country Club in Guidonia, Italy.
• France experiences a large increase in bedbugs.
October 2, 2023:
• The Nobel Prize goes to scientists who created the mRNA Covid vaccines.
• 9-year-old Charlotte Sena is found safe after going missing in upstate New York.
October 3, 2023:
• Hunter Biden pleads not guilty to three federal firearms charges.
• It is reported that Burger King is still open in Russia despite its pledge to exit the country.
• Kevin McCarthy is ousted as the US House speaker by a group of his Republican colleagues.
• At least 21 people are killed after a bus carrying tourists plunges off an overpass near Venice, Italy.
• Elon Musk is sued by his ex-girlfriend Grimes over parental rights.
October 4, 2023:
• The documentary "Beckham" is released on Netflix.
• US President Joe Biden's dog "Commander" is removed from the White House after biting staff members.
• Just Stop Oil protesters storm the stage at a West End performance of Les Miserables in London.
• It is announced that the 2030 FIFA World Cup will be hosted in Spain, Portugal, and Morocco.
• Over 75,000 union workers go on strike at US healthcare provider Kaiser Permanente.
• The writers of The Drew Barrymore Show refuse to return.
• Former GB News host Laurence Fox is arrested for encouraging vandalism.
October 5, 2023:
• More than 100 people are killed after a drone strike is launched against a Syrian military academy ceremony.
• A Russian missile strike kills more than 50 people who were gathering for a wake in eastern Ukraine.
• Chicken prices in US grocery stores hit record highs.
October 6, 2023:
• Martin Scorsese's film "Killers of the Flower Moon" is released in movie theaters.
• The film "The Exorcist: Believer" is released.
• Drake releases the album "For All the Dogs".
• A man is arrested over an alleged plot to kidnap ITV's "This Morning" presenter Holly Willoughby.
• Amazon launches its first Internet satellites into space.
• Rapper Drake announces that he is taking a break from music due to recurring stomach issues.
• Simone Biles becomes the most decorated gymnast in history after winning two gold medals at the World Gymnastics Championships.
• Soccer: A second drug test confirms that Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba tested positive for banned substances.
October 7, 2023:
• Palestinian militants launch a large-scale offensive against Israel.
• At least 2,400 people die after an earthquake hits western Afghanistan.
• Hamas militants kill more than 260 people at an outdoor music festival in Re'im, Israel.
October 8, 2023:
• The first episode of Big Brother 2023 is aired on ITV.
• The death toll from Hamas' assault on Israel passes 600.
• Israel declares a state of war following Hamas' October 7th attack.
• Israel begins airstrikes against targets in the Gaza Strip.
October 9, 2023:
• Israel imposes a blockade on the Gaza Strip.
• Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announces that he will be contesting the 2024 US presidential election as an independent.
• The European Commission reverses its decision to suspend development aid payments to Palestine.
• US President Joe Biden is questioned about classified documents that were previously found at his home.
October 10, 2023:
• The Israeli military claims that the bodies of 1,500 Hamas militants have been found inside its borders.
• Iran denies claims that it was involved in the October 7th attack on Israel.
• Soccer: UEFA confirms that the United Kingdom and Ireland will co-host Euro 2028.
• Soccer: Eden Hazard announces his retirement.
• Holly Willoughby announces that she is stepping down from ITV's "This Morning" show after 14 years.
• The death toll from Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip reaches 765 people.
• US representative George Santos is charged with defrauding campaign donors.
October 11, 2023:
• At least 30 people are killed after Israel carries out air strikes in Gaza.
• The UN reports that more than 260,000 people have been displaced in Gaza.
• Israel begins to amass its troops on the Gaza border.
• Jada Pinkett Smith reveals that she and her husband, Will Smith, have been separated since 2016.
• Gaza's only power station runs out of fuel.
October 13, 2023:
• Israel orders the evacuation of 1.1 million people from Gaza.
• The EU begins investigating X (Twitter) over the possible spread of hate speech and terrorist content.
• Republican Congressman Steve Scalise drops out of the race to become Speaker of the House.
• Israel begins to conduct small raids in the Gaza Strip.
October 14, 2023:
• Boxing: Tommy Fury defeats KSI via majority decision.
• Rugby: New Zealand defeat Ireland 28-24 in the quarter final of the Rugby World Cup.
• Rugby: Argentina defeat Wales 29-12 in the quarter final of the Rugby World Cup.
• The death toll from Israeli airstrikes in Gaza reaches 2,000.
• 60% of Australians vote against enshrining an Indigenous advocacy committee in their constitution.
• The National Party wins the 2023 New Zealand general election.
• Michael Caine confirms that he has retired from acting.
• 6-year-old Wadea Al-Fayoume is stabbed to death during a suspected hate crime in Plainfield, Illinois.
October 15, 2023:
• Three's Company actress Suzanne Somers died of cancer at the age of 76.
• The death toll from Hamas' attack on Israel rises to 1,400.
• American football wide receiver Antonio Brown is arrested for unpaid child support.
October 16, 2023:
• American drugstore chain Rite Aid files for bankruptcy.
• Belgium raises its terror alert to its highest level after two Swedish people are shot dead in Brussels.
• 2020 election subversion trial: A federal judge issues a gagging order on former President Donald Trump.
• It is reported that hospitals in Gaza are running low on water, medicine, and fuel.
October 17, 2023:
• Palestinian authorities claim that 500 people were killed by an Israeli air strike on a hospital in the Gaza Strip.
• Britney Spears reveals that she had an abortion while she was dating Justin Timberlake between 1999 and 2002.
• The White House confirms that it has supplied Ukraine with long-range ATACMS missiles.
October 18, 2023:
• A court employee in New York is arrested after she attempts to approach Donald Trump during his civil fraud trial.
• The United States vetoes a UN resolution calling for a "humanitarian pause" on the Israel-Hamas conflict.
• US intelligence and independent security experts claim that Islamic militants were responsible for the rocket attack on a Gaza hospital.
• Israel allows entry of humanitarian aid into Gaza following US pressure.
• It is reported that Rocky (1976) actor Burt Young has died at the age of 83.
• Adele reveals that she has quit alcohol due to being a "borderline alcoholic" for most of her 20s.
• Netflix raises its prices again.
October 19, 2023: Donald Trump's former lawyer, Sidney Powell, pleads guilty for her role in attempting to overturn the 2020 election.
October 20, 2023:
• Blink-182 release the album "One More Time...".
• The Rolling Stones release the album "Hackney Diamonds".
October 21, 2023:
• Former English footballer Sir Bobby Charlton dies at the age of 86.
• UFC 294: Khamzat Chimaev defeats Kamaru Usman on points.
• Actor Matthew McConaughey is granted a restraining order against a woman who claimed to be his "common law wife".
October 22, 2023: An off-duty pilot named Joseph Emerson allegedly tries to shut off engines on an Alaska Airlines flight.
October 23, 2023:
• Fog leads to seven people being killed in multiple crashes on Interstate 55 in Louisiana.
• Israel releases unseen bodycam footage of the Hamas Oct 7th attack to foreign journalists.
• The White House says that Iran is "actively facilitating" some attacks on US military bases in Iraq and Syria.
• Gaza's Ministry of Health says that the death toll from Israeli airstrikes in Gaza has reached 5,000.
• Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson asks Grevin Museum in Paris to update the skin color of his wax figure.