News stories, pop culture trends, and other events that happened around September 1, 2023.
August 2, 2023: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife announce that they are separating after 18 years of marriage.
August 3, 2023:
• Donald Trump pleads not guilty to election conspiracy charges.
• Lizzo rejects allegations that she discriminated against former employees on the basis of their weight.
August 4, 2023:
• West African military chiefs say they have plans for a possible intervention in Niger.
• It is reported that the world's oceans have set a new surface temperature record.
• A Romanian court lifts Andrew Tate's house arrest.
• Long Island serial killer victim "Fire Island Jane Doe" is identified as Karen Vergata after 27 years.
• Doja Cat releases the song "Paint the Town Red".
August 5, 2023:
• A large riverboat brawl in Montgomery, Alabama, goes viral on the Internet.
• Boxing: Jake Paul defeats Nate Diaz.
August 6, 2023: 30 people are killed after a passenger train called the Hazara Express derails in Pakistan.
August 8, 2023: Oliver Anthony releases the song "Rich Men North of Richmond".
August 9, 2023:
• Ecuadorian presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio is assassinated at a political rally.
• At least 36 people are killed after wildfires sweep through Lahaina in Hawaii.
• A man suspected of threatening US President Joe Biden is shot dead by the FBI in Utah.
August 11, 2023:
• The death toll from the wildfires in Lahaina, Hawaii, reaches 80.
• The song "Prada" is released by Cassö, Raye and D-Block Europe.
August 12, 2023:
• Soccer: Harry Kane joins Bayern Munich.
• Boxing: Anthony Joshua knocks out Robert Helenius.
August 14, 2023:
• Georgia charges Donald Trump with trying to overturn the 2020 US presidential election.
• Soccer: Brighton midfielder Moisés Caicedo joins Chelsea.
August 15, 2023:
• Soccer: Neymar joins Saudi Pro League side Al Hilal.
• Former NFL player Michael Oher (The Blind Side) files a lawsuit against Leigh Ann and Sean Tuohy.
August 16, 2023: Britney Spears and her husband, Sam Asghari, separate after 14 months of marriage.
August 17, 2023: Mortgage rates in the United States reach their highest level in 21 years.
August 18, 2023: Former nurse Lucy Letby is found guilty of murdering seven babies at the Countess of Chester Hospital in England.
August 20, 2023:
• Russia's Luna-25 space craft crashes into the moon.
• Storm Hilary hits California and Mexico.
• Spanish FA president Luis Rubiales is widely criticized for kissing Jennifer Hermoso on the World Cup trophy podium.
• Spain win the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup after defeating England 1-0 in the final.
August 21, 2023:
• Soccer: Manchester United confirm that Mason Greenwood is leaving the club due to the previous rape allegations that he was facing.
• Hawaii wildfires: It is confirmed that 114 people are dead and 850 people are still missing.
August 23, 2023:
• India's Chandrayaan-3 spacecraft lands on the south pole of the Moon.
• Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin is killed in a plane crash.
• Donald Trump skips the Republican nomination debate.
• Rudy Giuliani surrenders to authorities in Georgia over his 2020 election indictment charges.
• Wrestling legend Terry Funk passes away at the age of 79.
August 24, 2023:
• Japan begins to release wastewater from the Fukushima nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean.
• WWE wrestler Bray Wyatt dies of a heart attack at the age of 36.
• Donald Trump surrenders to authorities in Georgia over his 2020 election indictment charges.
• American actress Arleen Sorkin passes away at the age of 67.
• The release of "Dune: Part Two" is delayed due to the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike.
August 25, 2023: Spanish FA president Luis Rubiales refuses to resign for kissing Jennifer Hermoso.
August 26, 2023:
• "The Price Is Right" host Bob Barker dies at the age of 99.
• Boxing: Oleksandr Usyk defeats Daniel Dubois with a 9th round technical knockout.
August 27, 2023: Samuel Wurzelbacher (Joe the Plumber) dies from pancreatic cancer at the age of 49.
August 30, 2023:
• Hurricane Idalia hits Florida.
• Gabon President Ali Bongo Ondimba is deposed by a military coup.
• Utah family YouTuber Ruby Franke is arrested on child abuse charges.
August 31, 2023:
• Donald Trump pleads not guilty to charges that he led a criminal conspiracy to overturn the 2020 election.
• At least 74 people are killed after a fire engulfs an abandoned building in Johannesburg, South Africa.
• Convicted murderer Danelo Cavalcante escapes from Chester County Prison in Pennsylvania.
This date: September 1, 2023
September 2, 2023:
• Burning Man attendees are left stranded due to heavy rains.
• Wrestling: AEW releases CM Punk from his contract following a backstage altercation.
September 3, 2023:
• Soccer: A man is arrested for allegedly assaulting Sky Sports pundit Roy Keane.
• Max Verstappen claims a record 10th consecutive Formula 1 victory at the Italian Grand Prix.
September 4, 2023:
• Smash Mouth singer Steve Harwell dies from liver failure at the age of 56.
• Soccer: Antony is removed from Brazil's squad following allegations of domestic violence against his ex-girlfriend.
September 5, 2023:
• Joe Jonas files for divorce from Sophie Turner.
• Attorneys representing Alex Murdaugh accuse the Clerk of Court of jury tampering.
• "Tube Girl" begins to go viral on TikTok.
September 6, 2023:
• Mexico's Supreme Court decriminalizes abortion.
• Terror suspect Daniel Khalife escapes from HMP Wandsworth in London, England.
• The video game "Starfield" is released.
September 7, 2023:
• That '70s Show actor Danny Masterson (Hyde) is sentenced to 30 years in prison for rape.
• Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary is hit in the face with a cream pie in Brussels.
• The Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon is accused of creating a toxic workplace environment and abusing his staff.
September 8, 2023:
• The Rugby World Cup begins in France.
• More than 2,600 people are killed after a 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes Morocco.
• Elon Musk says that he refused to give Ukraine access to his Starlink network over Crimea to prevent a "major act of war".
• French President Emmanuel Macron is heavily booed during his opening speech at the Rugby World Cup.
September 9, 2023:
• Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis issue an apology for writing letters in support of co-star Danny Masterson ahead of his sentencing.
• Fugitive Daniel Khalife is arrested in London.
• Police in the Netherlands use water cannons and arrest 2,400 climate change protesters who were blocking the A12 highway into The Hague.
• UFC 293: Sean Strickland beats Israel Adesanya.
September 10, 2023: Spanish FA president Luis Rubiales announces that he will be resigning.
September 11, 2023:
• Soccer: Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba is provisionally suspended from playing due to an anti-doping offence.
• WGA strike: The Drew Barrymore Show makes the controversial decision to resume production without writers.
September 12, 2023:
• American explorer Mark Dickey is rescued from one of Turkey's deepest caves.
• EU laws force Apple to replace its iPhone lightning charger with a USB-C charger.
• Thousands of people are killed in floods in Libya.
• Federal charges are brought against five former Memphis police officers over the death of Tyre Nichols.
• An investigation is launched after a Seattle police officer is filmed saying that a woman killed by a police car "had limited value".
• 56 people die in an apartment building fire in Hanoi, Vietnam.
• The game engine "Unity" announces a controversial plan to charge developers a runtime fee.
• NFL: It is confirmed that New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers has a complete tear of his Achilles tendon.
September 14, 2023:
• France announces plans to ban disposable vapes.
• The European Central Bank raises interest rates to a record high to curb inflation.
• Hunter Biden is indicted on federal gun charges.
• NASA says that the study of UFOs will require new scientific techniques and technology.
September 15, 2023:
• The film "Dumb Money" is released.
• Nearly 13,000 workers walk out of three auto plants in Michigan, Missouri, and Ohio due to a pay dispute.
• Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis resign from their anti-child abuse charity amid criticism of their defense of former co-star and convicted rapist Danny Masterson.
September 16, 2023:
• English comedian and actor Russell Brand is accused of rape, sexual assault, and abuse.
• Libya floods: The death toll rises to 11,300 in Derna.
September 17, 2023:
• The Greater Nile Petroleum Oil Company Tower in Sudan is engulfed in flames.
• Ukraine's generals claim that they have broken through Russia's first line of defenses in the south.
• Actress Halle Berry criticizes rapper Drake for using a "slime" photograph of her without permission.
• An F-35 fighter jet goes missing in South Carolina after the pilot ejects due to a "mishap".
• Following backlash, Drew Barrymore announces that she will not be resuming her talk show until the Writers Guild of America strike has ended.
September 18, 2023:
• Iran and the United States hold a prisoner swap.
• Japan says that one in 10 of its residents are now 80 years of age or older.
• Further women come forward with allegations about Russell Brand.
• Canada accuses India of killing Canadian Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar.
• Former NFL player Sergio Brown is reported missing after his mother is found dead in Maywood, Illinois.
September 19, 2023:
• YouTube suspends the monetization of Russell Brand's channel amid allegations that he raped and sexually abused multiple women.
• Elon Musk suggests that X (Twitter) may start charging all users a subscription fee.
September 21, 2023:
• The video game "Payday 3" is released.
• Rupert Murdoch steps down as the chairman of Fox and News Corp.
September 22, 2023:
• Doja Cat releases her album "Scarlet".
• The iPhone 15 is released.
• Canada's House of Commons inadvertently gives an ovation to a Nazi war veteran.
September 24, 2023:
• Hollywood writers and studios reach a deal to end a five-month-long strike.
• NASA's first deep-space asteroid samples are parachuted into the Utah desert.
September 25, 2023:
• Sicilian mafia boss Matteo Messina Denaro dies from cancer at the age of 61.
• London's Metropolitan Police confirm that they have received a number of new abuse allegations about Russell Brand.
• It is rumored that pop singer Taylor Swift and NFL player Travis Kelce are dating.
September 26, 2023:
• A New York judge rules that Donald Trump defrauded insurers and banks by overvaluing his assets when he was building his real estate empire.
• The European Union accuses Twitter (X) of being the biggest outlet for disinformation.
September 27, 2023: GB News suspends host Laurence Fox over comments that he made about journalist Ava Evans.
September 28, 2023:
• Actor Michael Gambon, who played Dumbledore in the Harry Potter film series, passes away at the age of 82.
• American soldier Travis King arrives back on US soil after being expelled from North Korea.
• US Senator Dianne Feinstein passes away at the age of 90.
• The police conduct a welfare check on Britney Spears after she uploads a video of herself dancing with knives.
September 29, 2023:
• The video game "EA FC 24" is released.
• The sci-fi film "The Creator" is released.
• The film "PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie" is released.
• Duane "Keefe D" Davis is charged with the 1996 murder of rap star Tupac Shakur.
• The United States warns of a large Serbian military build-up near the Kosovo border.
• A rainstorm floods parts of New York City.
• The horror film "Saw X" is released.
• 60 people are killed in a suicide bombing in the Mastung District of Pakistan.
September 30, 2023: Charlotte Sena (9) goes missing while riding her bike at Moreau Lake Park in upstate New York.
October 1, 2023:
• 13 people are killed in a nightclub fire in Murcia, Spain.
• Golf: Europe wins the 2023 Ryder Cup at the Marco Simone Golf and Country Club in Guidonia, Italy.
• France experiences a large increase in bedbugs.