News stories, pop culture trends, and other events that happened around November 27, 2023.
October 28, 2023:
• Friends actor Matthew Perry is found dead in his hot tub at the age of 54.
• South Africa beat New Zealand 12-11 to win the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
• Boxing: Tyson Fury beats Francis Ngannou by split decision.
• Soccer: The parents of Luis Díaz are reportedly kidnapped by armed men in Barrancas, Colombia.
• Ice hockey player Adam Johnson dies after suffering a neck cut in an on-ice collision.
October 29, 2023: A mob storms a Dagestan airport in search of Jewish passengers.
October 30, 2023:
• Soccer: Lionel Messi wins the Ballon d'Or for the eighth (and likely final) time.
• Re'im music festival massacre: The remains of Israeli-German Shani Louk (22) are found.
October 31, 2023:
• Hamas claims that at least 47 people were killed during an Israeli bombing of a refugee camp in Gaza.
• The UK government confirms that XL bully dogs will be banned by the end of the year.
November 1, 2023:
• Walmart releases its "Mean Girls" Black Friday commercial.
• Baseball: The Texas Rangers win the 2023 World Series.
• Former basketball coach Bob Knight passes away at the age of 83.
November 2, 2023:
• The Beatles release their final song, "Now and Then".
• FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried is convicted of defrauding cryptocurrency customers.
• Soccer: It is reported that Manchester United are considering "alternatives" to manager Erik Ten Hag after the club's worst start to a season in 61 years.
• George Santos survives a House expulsion vote.
November 3, 2023:
• Gaming: The original Fortnite Chapter 1 map returns.
• Former nurse Heather Pressdee confesses to trying to kill multiple patients in Pennsylvania.
• At least 15 people are killed after an Israeli airstrike targets an ambulance in Gaza.
• The French Institute in Gaza is targeted by an Israeli strike.
November 5, 2023: Israeli Heritage Minister Amihay is suspended after seemingly voicing his openness to the idea of carrying out a nuclear strike on Gaza.
November 6, 2023:
• Office-sharing company WeWork files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
• The reported death toll in Gaza tops 10,000.
• Volodymyr Zelensky confirms that Ukraine's Armed Forces destroyed the Russian cruiser Askold.
• Israel rejects calls for it to hold a ceasefire with Hamas.
November 7, 2023: An online rumor claims that Homer will stop strangling Bart in The Simpsons.
November 8, 2023:
• The online chat website "Omegle" is shut down after 14 years.
• Rockstar Games announces that the trailer for its next Grand Theft Auto game will be released in early December.
• Ohio voters add abortion rights to the state constitution.
• Democratic governor Andy Beshear wins reelection in Kentucky.
November 9, 2023:
• Irish crime: Jozef Puska is found guilty of the murder of school teacher Ashling Murphy.
• The feminist news website Jezebel announces that it is shutting down.
• The 2023 SAG-AFTRA strike comes to an end.
• "Extreme Weight Loss" star Brandi Mallory dies from complications of obesity at the age of 40.
November 10, 2023:
• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III (2023) is released.
• The superhero film "The Marvels" is released.
• The FBI seizes phones belonging to NYC mayor Eric Adams as part of an investigation into fundraising.
• Surgeons in New York perform the world's first eye transplant.
November 11, 2023:
• Five US special operation troops are killed after their helicopter crashes in the Mediterranean.
• Hundreds of thousands of protesters take part in a pro-Palestinian rally in London.
• Ghana international footballer Raphael Dwamena dies after collapsing on the pitch.
November 12, 2023: At least 40 workers are trapped after an under-construction tunnel collapses in Uttarkashi district, India.
November 13, 2023:
• UK politics: Suella Braverman is sacked as home secretary following her newspaper article about the Armistice Day protests.
• UK politics: Former Prime Minister David Cameron is appointed Foreign Secretary.
November 14, 2023:
• The US claims that Hamas has a command center under Shifa Hospital in Gaza.
• Kanye West's wife, Bianca Censori, reportedly returns to Australia to escape her "controlling" husband.
• Republican Senator Markwayne Mullin challenges union leader Sean O'Brien to a fight during a Senate hearing.
November 15, 2023:
• Israeli troops enter the Shifa Hospital in Gaza.
• China's Xi Jinping arrives in the United States ahead of a summit with Joe Biden.
November 16, 2023:
• Sean Combs (Puff Daddy) is accused of rape and abuse by his former partner, Cassie.
• Internet and phone networks in Gaza shut down due to a lack of fuel.
• Rescuers drill into the rubble of a collapsed road tunnel in India in an attempt to free 40 trapped workers.
• Ukraine reports that it has carried out a number of successful attacks on the Russian-occupied east bank of the Dnipro River.
• The Guardian removes Osama bin Laden's "Letter to America" after it goes viral on TikTok due to people sharing it without context.
• IBM pauses advertising on Twitter after its ads appear next to pro-Nazi content.
November 17, 2023:
• The film "The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes" is released.
• Nicki Minaj releases the album "Pink Friday 2".
• Soccer: The Premier League deducts 10 points from Everton for breaking profitability and sustainability rules.
• Apple, Disney, and IBM pause ads on X (Twitter) after Elon Musk signals his agreement with an antisemitic tweet.
• Sean Combs (Puff Daddy) and Cassie settle her rape and sex trafficking lawsuit.
• Marvel fatigue: The Marvels becomes the worst-performing superhero movie in modern history.
November 18, 2023:
• An Israeli airstrike kills 80 people at a Palestinian refugee camp.
• Taylor Swift postpones her concert in Rio de Janeiro due to the death of a fan and concerns about record temperatures.
• Elon Musk vows to sue Media Matters after the media watchdog claims that antisemitic tweets were shown next to advertisements.
November 19, 2023:
• Former first lady Rosalynn Carter dies at the age of 96.
• Javier Milei wins the Argentina presidential election.
• Ukraine says that it has pushed Russian forces five miles back from the banks of the Dnipro River.
November 20, 2023:
• Shakira agrees to pay a €7.3m fine to avoid a tax fraud trial.
• The US Supreme Court rejects Derek Chauvin's conviction appeal for the murder of George Floyd.
• Snoop Dogg's claim that he is giving up smoking turns out to be a marketing ploy for a smokeless pit.
• Elon Musk sues Media Matters for portraying X (Twitter) as being filled with antisemitic content.
• 28 premature babies are evacuated to Egypt from Gaza's Al-Shifa hospital.
• Phil Taylor announces that he is retiring from darts.
November 21, 2023: Actress Melissa Barrera is fired from Scream 7 after its makers claim that her pro-Palestinian social media posts are antisemitic.
November 22, 2023:
• The film Napoleon (2023) is released.
• Israel's parliament approves a ceasefire with Hamas.
• A car explodes after crashing at the Rainbow Bridge border crossing in Niagara Falls, New York.
November 23, 2023:
• Pro-Palestinian protesters halt the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City.
• Five people, including three children, are hospitalized following a stabbing attack in Dublin, Ireland.
• Violent protests begin in Dublin after a woman and three children are injured in a knife attack.
• Israeli forces arrest the director of the Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza.
• Qatar states that the Israel-Hamas ceasefire will begin on November 24th.
• Multiple women sue Sean Combs (Puff Daddy) for sexual assault.
November 24, 2023:
• A four-day ceasefire begins between Israel and Hamas.
• Derek Chauvin is stabbed in prison.
• Hamas and Israel exchange prisoners during a ceasefire.
• A South African parole board decides that Oscar Pistorius should be released on January 5, 2024.
November 25, 2023: Former English football manager Terry Venables dies at the age of 80.
November 28, 2023:
• 41 workers are rescued from a collapsed tunnel in northern India after 17 days.
• Investor Charlie Munger dies at the age of 99.
November 29, 2023:
• American diplomat and former US secretary of state Henry Kissinger dies at the age of 100.
• Elon Musk apologizes for making an antisemitic tweet and then tells advertisers to "go f**k yourself.".
• Actress Shannen Doherty says that her cancer has spread to her bones.
• Jamie Lynn Spears leaves "I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!" on medical grounds.
November 30, 2023:
• The Pogues singer Shane MacGowan dies at the age of 65.
• Pending home sales in the USA drop to a record low.
December 1, 2023:
• The truce between Israel and Hamas comes to an end.
• US congressman George Santos is expelled from the US House of Representatives.
• Former US Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor dies at the age of 93.
• The LAPD announce that an unidentified suspected serial killer has murdered three homeless men in a week.
• Walmart announces that it is no longer advertising on X (Twitter).
December 3, 2023:
• The Marvels (2023) ends its box office run as the lowest-grossing MCU movie in history.
• Israel expands its offensive in Gaza.
• Bitcoin rises above $40,000 for the first time since May 2022.
December 4, 2023:
• The trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is released early due to leaks.
• The word "Rizz" is named Oxford's Word of the Year for 2023.
• Spotify announces that it will be axing 1,500 jobs to cut costs.
December 5, 2023:
• Ukraine warns that it could lose the war against Russia if US aid is delayed by Republican-controlled congress.
• Famous TV producer Norman Lear dies at the age of 101.
December 6, 2023:
• Three people are killed in a shooting at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas.
• A fourth lawsuit accuses Sean Combs (P. Diddy) of gang rape and sex trafficking.
• Taylor Swift is named Time Magazine's person of the year.
December 7, 2023:
• UN Secretary General António Guterres invokes Article 99 to demand an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.
• Rapper Kodak Black is arrested on cocaine charges.
December 8, 2023:
• Unemployment in the USA falls to 3.7%.
• The US vetoes a UN resolution calling for a Gaza ceasefire due to the resolution being "unbalanced" and "detached from reality".