How many years ago was 1955?
1955 was 68 years ago from today.
A total of 68 years have passed between January 27th, 1955, and January 27th, 2023. It was 24,837 days ago.
However, the last calendar date of that year fell on December 31st, 1955. This means that, technically speaking, only 67 full years have passed since 1955 ended.
How long ago was 1955?
To put into perspective how long ago 1955 was:
- A person who turned 21 in 1955 is now 89 years of age.
- The teenagers that existed in 1955 are now 81–87 years old.
- Most of the people who were born in 1955 are retired.
- Six decades have passed since then.
- World War II had only ended ten years previously.
- The Moon is moving away from Earth at roughly 1.49 inches per year. That means that it has moved away by about 101 inches since 1955.
- There have been roughly 3,536 weekends since then.
- Names such as Elvis Presley, Pelé, Fidel Castro, Sam Cooke and Buddy Holly were not famous at the time.
- Popular songs that year included the likes of "Let Me Go, Lover" by Joan Weber, "Hearts of Stone" by The Fontane Sisters, "Sincerely" by The McGuire Sisters, "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" by Bill Hayes, "Cherry Pink (and Apple Blossom White)" by Pérez Prado and His Orchestra and "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley & His Comets.
- The Earth has travelled 306 billion miles through space since 1955.
- People were using rotary phones.
- There was no such thing as "Barbie".
- There were no satellites in the sky.
- Due to the expansion of the Atlantic Ocean, the distance between the United States and Europe has grown 170 centimeters since 1955.
- A person who was born that year has had roughly 136–204 colds in their lifetime.
- The world has gone through 272 seasons of weather.
Check out some of the other "years ago" stats!