How many years ago was 1973?
1973 was 50 years ago from today.
A total of fifty years have passed between January 27th, 1973, and January 27th, 2023. It was 18,262 days ago.
However, the last calendar date of that year fell on December 31st, 1973. This means that, technically speaking, only 49 full years have passed since 1973 ended.
How long ago was 1973?
To put into perspective how long ago 1973 was:
- A person who turned 21 in 1973 is now 71 years of age.
- The teenagers that existed in 1973 are now 63–69 years old.
- Five decades have passed since then.
- Movies came on VHS tapes.
- The United States was still embroiled in the Vietnam War.
- Personal Computers existed. However, they weren't really a thing yet. The vast majority of offices were using typewriters.
- In 1973, nobody knew that AIDS existed.
- The Moon is moving away from Earth at roughly 1.49 inches per year. That means that it has moved away by about 74 inches since 1973.
- There have been roughly 2,600 weekends since then.
- Names such as ABBA, John Travolta, Sylvester Stallone, Steven Spielberg, Ted Bundy, Stephen Hawking and Stephen King were not famous at the time.
- Popular songs that year included the likes of "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon, "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder, "Crocodile Rock" by Elton John, "Killing Me Softly With His Song" by Roberta Flack, "Love Train" by O'Jays and "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia" by Vicky Lawrence.
- Films such as "Serpico", "The Way We Were", "Billy Jack", "Paper Moon", "The Cheerleaders" and "Enter the Dragon" were playing at movie theaters in 1973.
- "Kojak", "Last of the Summer Wine", "Barnaby Jones" and "The Six Million Dollar Man" were among the TV shows that started airing that year.
- The Earth has travelled 225 billion miles through space since 1973.
- Post-it notes did not exist at the time.
- Although microwave ovens existed, they were still too expensive for most homes.
- The term "serial killer" hadn't been coined yet.
- Video games such as "Gotcha" and "Space Race" were released that year.
- Due to the expansion of the Atlantic Ocean, the distance between the United States and Europe has grown 125 centimeters since 1973.
- A person who was born that year has had roughly 100–150 colds in their lifetime.
- The world has gone through 200 seasons of weather.
Check out some of the other "years ago" stats!