How many years ago was 1977?
1977 was 46 years ago from today.
46 years have passed between September 28th, 1977, and September 28th, 2023. It was 16,801 days ago.
However, the last calendar date of that year fell on December 31st, 1977. This means that, technically speaking, only 45 full years have passed since 1977 ended.
How long ago was 1977?
To put into perspective how long ago 1977 was:
- A person who turned 21 in 1977 is now 67 years of age.
- The teenagers that existed in 1977 are now 59–65 years old.
- Four decades have passed since then.
- Movies came on VHS tapes.
- America's involvement in the Vietnam War had only ended four years previously.
- Most offices were still using typewriters. It wasn't until the nineties that PCs began to take over.
- In 1977, nobody knew that AIDS existed.
- The Moon is moving away from Earth at roughly 1.49 inches per year. That means that it has moved away by about 68 inches since 1977.
- There have been roughly 2,392 weekends since then.
- Names such as Prince, Richard Gere, U2, Princess Diana, Robin Williams, Danny DeVito, Bill Clinton, Bob Geldof, The Police, Kate Bush, and Jackie Chan were not famous at the time.
- Popular songs that year included the likes of "Tonight's The Night" by Rod Stewart, "You Don't Have To Be A Star" by Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis jr., "You Make Me Feel Like Dancin'" by Leo Sayer, "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder, "Car Wash" by Rose Royce, and "Torn Between Two Lovers" by Mary MacGregor.
- Films such as "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", "Star Wars", "Oh, God!", "Looking For Mr Goodbar", "The Deep", and "The Greatest" were playing at movie theaters in 1977.
- The Earth has travelled 207 billion miles through space since 1977.
- Although microwave ovens existed, they were still too expensive for most homes.
- The term "serial killer" hadn't been coined yet.
- Due to the expansion of the Atlantic Ocean, the distance between the United States and Europe has grown 115 centimeters since 1977.
- A person who was born that year has had roughly 92–138 colds in their lifetime.
- The world has gone through 184 seasons of weather.
- The Sony Walkman didn't exist in 1977.
- Camcorders weren't a thing yet. Video cameras were heavy and often had to be mounted on special supports.
- The afro hairstyle was popular at the time.
- "Three's Company", "Chips", "Soap", "The Love Boat", "Logan's Run", and "Eight Is Enough" were among the TV shows that started airing that year.
Check out some of the other "years ago" stats!