How many years ago was 1974?
1974 was 49 years ago from today.
A total of 49 years have passed between January 27th, 1974, and January 27th, 2023. It was 17,897 days ago.
However, the last calendar date of that year fell on December 31st, 1974. This means that, technically speaking, only 48 full years have passed since 1974 ended.
How long ago was 1974?
To put into perspective how long ago 1974 was:
- A person who turned 21 in 1974 is now 70 years of age.
- The teenagers that existed in 1974 are now 62–68 years old.
- Four decades have passed since then.
- Movies came on VHS tapes.
- America's involvement in the Vietnam War had only ended one years previously.
- Personal Computers existed. However, they weren't really a thing yet. The vast majority of offices were using typewriters.
- In 1974, nobody knew that AIDS existed.
- The Moon is moving away from Earth at roughly 1.49 inches per year. That means that it has moved away by about 73 inches since 1974.
- There have been roughly 2,548 weekends since then.
- Names such as John Travolta, Sylvester Stallone, Steven Spielberg, Ted Bundy and the Bee Gees were not famous at the time.
- Popular songs that year included the likes of "The Joker" by Steve Miller Band, "Show And Tell" by Al Wilson, "You're Sixteen" by Ringo Starr, "The Way We Were" by Barbra Streisand, "Love's Theme" by Love Unlimited Orchestra and "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks.
- Films such as "The Godfather Part II", "Death Wish", "The Trial of Billy Jack", "The Longest Yard", "Airport 1975" and "Cabaret" were playing at movie theaters in 1974.
- "Happy Days", "Good Times", "Little House on the Prairie", "Kolchak: The Night Stalker", "The Rockford Files" and "Police Woman" were among the TV shows that started airing that year.
- The Earth has travelled 221 billion miles through space since 1974.
- Post-it notes did not exist at the time.
- Although microwave ovens existed, they were still too expensive for most homes.
- The term "serial killer" hadn't been coined yet.
- Due to the expansion of the Atlantic Ocean, the distance between the United States and Europe has grown 123 centimeters since 1974.
- A person who was born that year has had roughly 98–147 colds in their lifetime.
- The world has gone through 196 seasons of weather.
- Jimmy Hoffa hadn't gone missing yet.
Check out some of the other "years ago" stats!