How many years ago was 1986?
1986 was 37 years ago from today.
37 years have passed between March 29th, 1986, and March 29th, 2023. It was 13,514 days ago.
However, the last calendar date of that year fell on December 31st, 1986. This means that, technically speaking, only 36 full years have passed since 1986 ended.
How long ago was 1986?
To put into perspective how long ago 1986 was:
- The teenagers that existed in 1986 are now 50–56 years old.
- Three decades have passed since then.
- Although the Internet existed in 1986, most people didn't even know what it was.
- People were still listening to music on portable cassette players called Walkmans.
- Cellphones were very uncommon.
- Movies came on VHS tapes.
- Mullets were "everywhere".
- The Soviet Union still existed.
- Most offices were still using typewriters. It wasn't until the nineties that PCs began to take over.
- Motorists had to rely on printed maps and directions to get to places. GPS systems didn't appear until more than a decade later.
- The Moon is moving away from Earth at roughly 1.49 inches per year. That means that it has moved away by about 55 inches since 1986.
- There have been roughly 1,924 weekends since then.
- Names such as Johnny Depp, Guns N' Roses, Morgan Freeman, Keanu Reeves, Kylie Minogue, Dr. Dre, R. Kelly, Bruce Willis and Nicolas Cage were not famous at the time.
- Popular songs that year included the likes of "Say You Say Me" by Lionel Richie, "That's What Friends Are For" by Dionne Warwick & Friends, "How Will I Know" by Whitney Houston, "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister, "Sara" by Starship and "These Dreams" by Heart.
- Films such as "Rocky IV", "Out of Africa", "Iron Eagle", "The Color Purple", "Down and Out in Beverly Hills" and "Pretty in Pink" were playing at movie theaters in 1986.
- Ronald Reagan was still the President of the United States.
- Margaret Thatcher was still the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- The Earth has travelled 167 billion miles through space since 1986.
- Most cars didn't have electric windows.
- Although TV remote controls existed, many homes did not have them.
- Microwave ovens were only starting to become a common fixture in kitchens.
- Video games such as "The Legend of Zelda" and "Paperboy" were released that year.
- Due to the expansion of the Atlantic Ocean, the distance between the United States and Europe has grown 93 centimeters since 1986.
- A person who was born that year has had roughly 74–111 colds in their lifetime.
- The world has gone through 148 seasons of weather.
Check out some of the other "years ago" stats!