How many years ago was 1991?
1991 was 32 years ago from today.
A total of 32 years have passed between January 27th, 1991, and January 27th, 2023. It was 11,688 days ago.
However, the last calendar date of that year fell on December 31st, 1991. This means that, technically speaking, only 31 full years have passed since 1991 ended.
How long ago was 1991?
To put into perspective how long ago 1991 was:
- The teenagers that existed in 1991 are now 45–51 years old.
- Three decades have passed since then.
- If you were to travel back in time to this year, nobody would know what a PlayStation is.
- Although the Internet existed in 1991, most people didn't even know what it was.
- People back then were still listening to music on portable cassette players called Walkmans.
- Most people in 1991 didn't have a cellphone.
- Movies came on VHS tapes.
- A small communication device called a "pager" was very popular at the time.
- Mullets were "everywhere".
- The Soviet Union still existed.
- CDs were relatively new at the time.
- Same-sex marriage wasn't legal in the United States.
- The European Union did not exist.
- Motorists in 1991 had to rely on printed maps and directions to get to places, as GPS navigation systems for vehicles did not become available until 2001.
- The Moon is moving away from Earth at roughly 1.49 inches per year. That means that it has moved away by about 48 inches since 1991.
- There have been roughly 1,664 weekends since then.
- Names such as David Beckham, Mariah Carey, Shaquille O'Neal, Liam Neeson, Halle Berry, Snoop Dogg, Mary J. Blige, Sandra Bullock and Jeffrey Dahmer were not famous at the time.
- Popular songs that year included the likes of "Love Will Never Do" by Janet Jackson, "The First Time" by Surface, "Gonna Make You Sweat" by C&C Music Factory, "All The Man That I Need" by Whitney Houston, "Someday" by Mariah Carey and "One More Try" by Timmy T.
- Films such as "Home Alone", "Sleeping with the Enemy", "Silence of the Lambs", "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II", "Out for Justice" and "Oscar" were playing at movie theaters in 1991.
- "Home Improvement", "Dinosaurs", "Baywatch" and "Step by Step" were among the TV shows that started airing that year.
- There was no such thing as online shopping.
- The Earth has travelled 144 billion miles through space since 1991.
- Most cars didn't have electric windows.
- There was no such thing as "texting."
- Although TV remote controls existed, many homes did not have them.
- Red Bull wasn't available in the United States.
- Nobody knew what an MP3 was.
- Video games such as "Sonic the Hedgehog", "Battletoads", "Civilization", "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past", "Streets of Rage" and "F-16 Combat Pilot" were released that year.
- Due to the expansion of the Atlantic Ocean, the distance between the United States and Europe has grown 80 centimeters since 1991.
- A person who was born that year has had roughly 64–96 colds in their lifetime.
- The world has gone through 128 seasons of weather.
Check out some of the other "years ago" stats!