How many years ago was 1987?
1987 was 36 years ago from today.
A total of 36 years have passed between January 27th, 1987, and January 27th, 2023. It was 13,149 days ago.
However, the last calendar date of that year fell on December 31st, 1987. This means that, technically speaking, only 35 full years have passed since 1987 ended.
How long ago was 1987?
To put into perspective how long ago 1987 was:
- The teenagers that existed in 1987 are now 49–55 years old.
- Three decades have passed since then.
- Although the Internet existed in 1987, most people didn't even know what it was.
- People back then were still listening to music on portable cassette players called Walkmans.
- Cellphones were very uncommon.
- Movies came on VHS tapes.
- Mullets were "everywhere".
- The Soviet Union still existed.
- Most offices were still using typewriters. It wasn't until the nineties that PCs began to take over.
- Motorists in 1987 had to rely on printed maps and directions to get to places. GPS systems didn't appear until more than a decade later.
- The Moon is moving away from Earth at roughly 1.49 inches per year. That means that it has moved away by about 54 inches since 1987.
- There have been roughly 1,872 weekends since then.
- Names such as Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, Keanu Reeves, Kylie Minogue, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Dr. Dre, R. Kelly and Bruce Willis were not famous at the time.
- Popular songs that year included the likes of "Shake You Down" by Gregory Abbott, "At This Moment" by Billy Vera, "Open Your Heart" by Madonna, "Livin' On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi, "Jacob's Ladder" by Huey Lewis & the News and "Lean On Me" by Club Nouveau.
- Films such as "The Golden Child", "Critical Condition", "Platoon", "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors", "Lethal Weapon" and "Blind Date" were playing at movie theaters in 1987.
- "Star Trek: The Next Generation", "21 Jump Street", "Married... with Children", "Full House" and "My Two Dads" were among the TV shows that started airing that year.
- The Game Boy wasn't released yet.
- Ronald Reagan was still the President of the United States.
- Margaret Thatcher was still the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- The Earth has travelled 162 billion miles through space since 1987.
- Most cars didn't have electric windows.
- There was no such thing as "texting."
- Although TV remote controls existed, many homes did not have them.
- Microwave ovens were only starting to become a common fixture in kitchens.
- Video games such as "Contra", "Punch-Out!!", "Mega Man", "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link", "Final Fantasy" and "Street Fighter" were released that year.
- Due to the expansion of the Atlantic Ocean, the distance between the United States and Europe has grown 90 centimeters since 1987.
- A person who was born that year has had roughly 72–108 colds in their lifetime.
- The world has gone through 144 seasons of weather.
Check out some of the other "years ago" stats!