How many years ago was 1990?
1990 was 33 years ago from today.
33 years have passed between March 29th, 1990, and March 29th, 2023. It was 12,053 days ago.
However, the last calendar date of that year fell on December 31st, 1990. This means that, technically speaking, only 32 full years have passed since 1990 ended.
How long ago was 1990?
To put into perspective how long ago 1990 was:
- The teenagers that existed in 1990 are now 46–52 years old.
- Three decades have passed since then.
- If you were to travel back in time to this year, nobody would know what a PlayStation is.
- Although the Internet existed in 1990, most people didn't even know what it was.
- People were still listening to music on portable cassette players called Walkmans.
- Most people in 1990 didn't have a cellphone.
- Movies came on VHS tapes.
- A small communication device called a "pager" was very popular at the time.
- Mullets were "everywhere".
- The Soviet Union still existed.
- Same-sex marriage wasn't legal in the United States.
- The European Union did not exist.
- Motorists had to rely on printed maps and directions to get to places, as GPS navigation systems for vehicles did not become available until 2001.
- The Moon is moving away from Earth at roughly 1.49 inches per year. That means that it has moved away by about 49 inches since 1990.
- There have been roughly 1,716 weekends since then.
- Names such as 2Pac, David Beckham, Mariah Carey, Shaquille O'Neal, Liam Neeson, Halle Berry, Snoop Dogg, Kurt Cobain, Mary J. Blige, Sandra Bullock and Jeffrey Dahmer were not famous at the time.
- Popular songs that year included the likes of "Another Day In Paradise" by Phil Collins, "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You" by Michael Bolton, "Opposites Attract" by Paula Abdul, "Escapade" by Janet Jackson, "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles and "Love Will Lead You Back" by Taylor Dayne.
- Films such as "Born on the Fourth of July", "Driving Miss Daisy", "Hard to Kill", "Hunt for Red October", "Pretty Woman" and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" were playing at movie theaters in 1990.
- Margaret Thatcher was still the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- There was no such thing as online shopping.
- The Earth has travelled 149 billion miles through space since 1990.
- Most cars didn't have electric windows.
- There was no such thing as "texting."
- Although TV remote controls existed, many homes did not have them.
- Red Bull wasn't available in the United States.
- Nobody knew what an MP3 was.
- Video games such as "Super Mario World", "Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse", "Wing Commander", "World Cup Italia '90", "Phantasy Star II" and "Railroad Tycoon" were released that year.
- Due to the expansion of the Atlantic Ocean, the distance between the United States and Europe has grown 83 centimeters since 1990.
- A person who was born that year has had roughly 66–99 colds in their lifetime.
- The world has gone through 132 seasons of weather.
- Computer mouses didn't have a scroll button.
- "Twin Peaks", "The Flash" and "One Foot in the Grave" were among the TV shows that started airing that year.
Check out some of the other "years ago" stats!